Living in a toxic fuming, disgusting apartment
Finding a “safe” on the inside place to live is probably impossible. I really would love to move but there’s no better alternative under $1000/month or at all really. No one considers the residents health when building a place. I cannot wait to buy a house and have to pay for everything to be redone because it is toxic/violation of code/bad for the environment…
Our common issues:
- The paint on the walls is harmful(all 15 layers or more of it).
- The grout in the shower is crumbling and new grout has chemicals which cause cancer, So it’s safe to assume we’re already showering with carcinogens between the tile since the last time it was redone may have been 20 yrs ago.
- there are about a million holes in the ceiling. Patching them requires harmful materials which will most likely off-gas for the entirety of the buldings life.
- The foam padding beneath the carpet we walk on is most likely loaded with flame retardants(which dont even prevent fire) and cause brain issues to whomever is on the floor the most or inhales the dust from it (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/garden/tests-on-carpet-padding-show-toxins.html?_r=0)
- There is Formadehyde Urea (a mix of ammonia and formaldehyde to make glue) in EVERYTHING here. The worst part is that it’s in the most humid areas of the house. Guess what happens when the urea gets wet… it off gasses! So everytime we shower, or boil water in the kitchen, the cabinets give off formaldehyde and it absorbs into our bodies in a number of ways. I cannot express my hate for companies using this and giving it to the populous.
- Our mattress… I wrote a post about mattresses a while back. Again, they’re loaded with flame retardant which does not stop fire fron happening, it just delays it at the cost of your exposure to these chemicals. Im sitting on one and I’m utterly infuriated. If you get a natural latex mattress or one with a certification of no chemicals sprayed on it, then you should be fine…
- The windows and doors have no seals, which means our A/C goes right out and it’s a waste of electricity. Not bad for the environment necessarily, but it’s a waste and that’s not good for our footprint.
- The stove is mounted right against the wall, so one burner bubbles the (toxic) paint on the wall. Safe, really safe…
- the ceiling is popcorn, I’m going to guess that it’s got something bad in it, and if we were to get it removed, it would pose a health risk.
- Our refrigerator might have some toxic coolant inside if it shorts out and burns up then it is hughly harmful.
I hate living in a country whose laws are so slack on the health of it’s people.
Looks like my only store from now on is the health food store…